Medlidenhetens ørken

What is my new desert? The name of it is compassion. There is no wilderness so terrible, so beautiful, so arid and so fruitful as the wilderness of compassion. It is the only desert that shall truly flourish like the lily. It shall become a pool, it shall bud forth and blossom and rejoice with joy. It is in the desert of compassion that the thirsty land turns into the springs of water, that the poor possess all things. There are no bounds to contain the inhabitants of this solitude in which I live alone, as isolated as the Host on the altar, the food of all men, belonging to all and to none, for God is with me, and He sits in the ruins of my heart, preaching His Gospel to the poor.
Do you suppose I have a spiritual life? I have none, I am indigence, I am silence, I am poverty, I am solitude, for I have renounced spirituality to find God, and He it is who preaches loud in the depths of my indigence, saying: "I will pour out my spirit upon thy children and they shall spring up among the herbs as willows beside the running waters" (Is. 44:3-4).


(Thomas Merton: Entering the Silence, p. 463)





Vad heter nu min nya öken? Dess namn er medlidande. Det finns ingen ödemark som är mera skrämmande, skönare, torrare och mera fruktbar än medlidandets ödemark. Det är sannerligen den enda öken som kommer att blomstra som en lilja. Den ska bli en oas, den ska knoppas och blomstra och stråla av glädje. Det är i medlidandets öken som den törstiga jorden förvandlas till sprudlande källor och där de fattiga äger allt. Inga gränser omsluter invånarna i denna ensamhet, där jag lever ensam, lika ensam som hostian på altaret, alla människors föda, allas och ingens egendom, ty Gud är med mig och han sitter i mitt hjärtas ruiner och predikar sitt evangelium för de fattiga. 

Tror ni at jag har något andligt liv? Det har jag inte, jag är fattigdom, tystnad, armod, jag är ensamhet, ty jag har gett avkall på den andlighet som består i at finna Gud, och det är han som från djupet av mitt armod säger: "Ty jag skall utgjuta vatten över de törstiga och strömmar över det torra; jag skall utgjuta min ande över dina barn och min välsignelse över dina telningar, så att de växer upp mitt ibland gräset såsom pilträd vid vattenbäckar." (Jes. 44:3-4). 

(Oversettelse ved Sven Heilo, Jonastecknet, ss. 308 - 309)